Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Week 2

It is the second week of FAITH and the devil is hard at work. Both of my team members are out with sick kids, but the “gates of hell will not prevail” (Matthew 16:18). I had two great substitutes. Jared our FAITH encourager and Trish one of my prayers partners. We had a lot of information presented tonight in session 2. We learned of ways to look for witnessing opportunities not only during a FAITH visit, but also in everyday life. We learned two skills that will help us move into a spiritual dialogue with someone; ask open-ended questions and to let people talk about themselves. Last we studied two items that are very important to use during a witness encounter, you evangelistic and Sunday school testimonies. I think Trish was listening to the last part (see Our Visit)

Our Visit

Our scheduled visit was a follow-up from last week. The couple that we talked to in “Week 1” visited the Church and seemed to have a good time. They only visited the worship service, but maybe they’ll attend Sunday school this week. Even though we had that visit scheduled, we had a change of plains. I got a call from my mother today saying that she and my brother would like my team to visit. She said that her, my brother, and my brother girlfriend would be there. This was an answer to my prayers for this is something I have been praying about for a while. I don’t know what it is, but it is harder to witness to your own family. This is a burden that I’ve had for a long time. None of us would want anyone to perish much less a family member. I just wanted them to know for sure that they have eternal life through Jesus Christ. I was very nervous, but thankful during the couple hours leading up to the visit. Before we got there I warned my team that they would probably get hugs from my mother. You see she’s a hugger. God comforted and relaxed me as we arrived. After we got the hugs out of the way, told you she was a hugger, we had a chance to talk. The “key question” was asked, “In your personal opinion what do you understand that it takes for a person to go to heaven”. My mother gave a faith answer and my brother and his girlfriend both gave an “I don’t know” answer.

I presented the gospel, spending what seemed like too much time on the forgiveness part. I felt as if I was going in circles, but I wanted to make sure it was clear and that they understood. My brother has a story similar to mine. He made what seemed like a decision for Christ, but there was not fruit or there was no new creature (2 Cr 5:17). We talked a little more answering Brian’s questions. Trish gave her Sunday school testimony; she must have been listening in class because her testimony was very good. We prayed and invited all of them to Sunday school. I hope that they will be there

Prayer Request

Pray that God uses His words tonight and that souls will be saved. I pray that Brian and his girlfriend could see the sincerity and love that I have for them. That they understand their condition (Romans 3:16) and that God has redeemed the through Jesus Christ (Eph 1:7, John 3:16). Pray that God will give my mother strength to make it to Church. Pray that I stay humble and give God the credit for all that he does and He continues to comfort me in times when I’m scared to share the gospel. Please pray form my team and their family. One last prayer is for the recovery the Larson’s son.

No comments: